NYSC DG Assures All Eligible Graduates of Mobilization.
The Director-General of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Brigadier General Sulaiman Kazaure, has assured all eligible graduates of tertiary institutions that they will be mobilized for the 2016 Batch ‘B’ service year.
Kazaure, who gave the assurance during his parley with the media in Abuja on Wednesday, said that there is a Government directive to that effect.
He said that what was left of the provision made for mobilization of Corps members in the 2016 budget could only accommodate eighty-six thousand prospective Corps members.
The Director-General, however, added that following the federal government’s intervention, all the one hundred and seventy thousand prospective Corps members that successfully registered online are now being processed for 2016 Batch ‘B’.
“So far, we have received green light from the relevant government agencies to prepare for the mobilization of all qualified prospective Corps members.
“However, the limited cumulative capacity of the Orientation camps nationwide necessitates a second stream Orientation course for the 2016 Batch ‘B’ which is being planned for January 2017,” he said.
Kazaure lamented the failure of some states and local governments to discharge their statutory obligations to the Scheme pointing out that their attitude resulted in the limited capacity and quality of facilities in most Orientation camps across the country.
The DG stressed that the provision of Orientation camp facilities and post-camp accommodation and transport of Corps members were among the responsibilities of states and local governments as spelt out in the NYSC Act.
Others he enumerated include logistics support for inspection of Corps locations, material support for community development service and security of Corps members.
He, therefore, appealed to states and local governments that are not discharging their statutory obligations to reconsider their stance and give their support towards the success of the Scheme’s operations.